Careers at Hyatt: Director of Food and Beverage

By on June 22, 2012

Director of Food & Beverage is one of the key leadership positions in our full-service hotels.  It is also one of the positions on the path to General Manager.  Tyson Warren, one of our Directors of Food & Beverage, gives us insight into his role and career with Hyatt.

I am currently the Director of Food and Beverage at the Hyatt Regency Sacramento.  My role is to insure that every guest has an exceptional experience whether it is in one of my two restaurants, the lobby lounge, Starbucks, In-room Dining, Banquets or at the pool bar. I also focus on the engagement of all associates in the hotel. Last, but certainly not least, I have an obligation to the ownership of the hotel to provide the highest quality Food and Beverage in Sacramento while increasing revenue.

My wife and I have a daughter, Madison, who just turned two. I love to golf, and explore the wineries of California. Every day for me is different and that is one of the things I enjoy about working in this industry. At work, I spend the majority of my time interacting with guests and associates in some fashion, if it’s bussing tables or seating guests in the restaurant, turning meeting rooms with the CS and Banquet departments or trying to become a certified Barista in Starbucks, those interactions take up a good portion of my day.

I attended Concord University in Athens, WV where I earned a Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Food Service Administration. I attended college on a football scholarship, I was a 4 year starter at Left Tackle and was a 3 time All Conference Player. I am from Melbourne, Florida where I started in the hospitality industry very young working with my father who owned a few night clubs.

In 1999, my good friend, Alumnus and Hyatt Family Member, Sherry Hicks-Buckles, told me to apply for an open position at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport and my career with Hyatt just took off!  I was a Food & Beverage Manager at Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport from 1999 – 2000.  I was then promoted to Hyatt Regency Atlanta, the birthplace of the Atrium hotel and the property that really launched my Hyatt career.  I was promoted four times while at the hotel and held the positions of Beverage Manager, Director of Outlets, Convention Services Manager, and lastly Director of Banquets.

In 2005, I was promoted to the Hyatt Regency Dearborn as Assistant Director of Food & Beverage and two years later, I was promoted to the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill.  One year later, I was promoted again!  I became the Director of Food & Beverage at the Hyatt Morristown and two years later moved to the West Coast after being promoted into my current role of Director of Food & Beverage at Hyatt Regency Sacramento.

I stay with Hyatt because Hyatt is truly a family. People you meet when you first start with the company will become lifelong friends. Hyatt will also let you define your career; you will get out of your career what you put into it.

If a recent college graduate wanted to follow my career path, I would suggest starting as an Assistant Executive Steward or Assistant Restaurant Manager.  These two entry level positions will prepare you for your new career. Assistant Executive Steward will teach you the back of the house operation, there is no meeting or event that is successful in a hotel without the support of the Stewarding department. Working in Stewarding also gives you a greater understanding of the entire Food and Beverage Operation because you’re working hand in hand with the Banquet and Culinary teams.

In the Assistant Restaurant Manager position you learn how to handle and deal with adversity due to the sometimes unpredictable levels of business. This role requires you to be very organized and is a great introduction to front of the house customer service, as well as financial management and forecasting.

When entering into this field you must embrace the opportunity to engage with guests and employees. You must enjoy being around different people and learning their different personalities. Most importantly you must be prepared to manage the different issues that come up on a daily basis and be creative at solving them. There are not any two days alike in the Hotel and Food Service industry.

About Ronisha

One of Hyatt's Regional Talent Acquisition Managers, Ronisha recruits for Hyatt's College Programs and supports our full-service locations within the East Coast and Midwestern regions of the United States. A lover of all things "social", you can follow her on Twitter at @ronishagoodwin

16 Comments

1. anthony villanueva santos

June 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

there’s nothing impossible if u are deserving to learn one thing…every persons have a good idea to show….

2. Dai Lam

June 22, 2012 at 5:34 pm

You are my Hero !God Bless You !

3. Petines, Lemuelle May D.

June 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm

hello, i’m looking for a job in Food and Beverage. I’m a fresh graduate of Associate in Hotel and Restaurant Management. I hope you will help me.Thanku and Godbless

• Ronisha

July 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hello Lemuelle,
      Thank you for your interest in Hyatt. Opportunities with our hotels are posted on the Hyatt career site: hyatt.jobs. At hyatt.jobs you can view the available opportunities at our hotels and apply for positions that interest you.

4. efrinaldi

June 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

I garaduated from tourism academy.in padang ,my spesialisation is hotel.i get recomend from resort hotel afamosa melaka,as chief several years ago.how i can get a position in this job announcement.please answer my quistion.

• Ronisha

July 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Hello Efrinaldi,
      Opportunities with our hotels worldwide are posted on our career site: hyatt.jobs. Please take a look at hyatt.jobs to view the available positions in your area and apply for the position that interests you.

5. Amy Moon

June 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Again… I am reminded of how much I enjoyed working for the Hyatt company and how much I would love to work there again. The stories and the people are what make it an amazing company. A company where people are allowed to grow and mature and become the people God created them to be.

• Ronisha

July 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Amy! It’s always great to hear from Hyatt alumni! Thank you for reading our blog!

6. michael j mccolga

June 25, 2012 at 10:46 pm

This is very true. I have great experiences from my front of house operations as f&b outlets manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda. To my back of house experience as asst. Executive steward at Grand Hyatt Washington. It is even more challenging and fun interesting on who or what you encounter when handling off-premise events as well as in house. Great times working with Grand Cuisine catering out of the Grand Hyatt..

• Ronisha

July 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hi Michael!
      Thanks for your comment! It’s great to see and hear from Hyatt Alumni.

7. Monica Pugh

June 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I am looking for employment with HYATT. Any Time and Weekend that is open.

• Ronisha

July 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hi Monica, Opportunities with Hyatt are posted on our career site: hyatt.jobs. At hyatt.jobs you view open positions and submit an application for the position that interests you. Thank you for your interest in working with Hyatt and reading our blog!

8. Subina Mishra

July 7, 2012 at 4:44 am

what is should i do to apply for internship in hyatt?

9. Joseph Hurless

August 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hi,
    My name is Joseph Hurless and I am very interested in joining Hyatt’s management training program, but it appears it is only offered through college campuses. How would a recent college graduate get involved in such a program with out traveling to a school they didn’t attend?

10. Julio Rios

October 17, 2012 at 6:30 am

Like Mr. Warren, I started my career with Hyatt many years ago as a line cook, and with encouragement from my superiors eventually became an Executive Sous Chef which led me to become an Executive Chef at different Hotels around the country. As my career progressed, I had an opportunity to do double duty as an Executive Chef/ F&B Director for a midsize Hotel that has led me to my current title of F&B Director for a large Convention Center.I have always referred to Hyatt as the catalyst that led me to where I am today, and always dreamed of going back someday.

• rgoldberg

October 17, 2012 at 8:58 am

Good morning Julio, thanks so much for your comment. We are happy to hear that Hyatt played a large role in your development and career.